Hit and Run Accidents

Hit and Run Accidents in Gwinnett County

If you were injured by a hit and run driver, you need to act quickly to exercise your rights. Although getting medical help for your injuries is, of course, supremely important, you should also contact an attorney who helps hit and run victims. Call John Morrison at 770-951-8900 if you were in a hit and run accident in Gwinnett County and need help sorting out your options and getting compensation.

The Challenges Victims of Hit and Run Accidents Face

Like any car accident, victims can suffer significant damages. Normally, the victim files a liability claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company and gets compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, vehicle repairs, and more.

Thus, it is imperative that investigations to identify the driver begin immediately. If the victim is able, he should provide police – and his attorney – with any information about the vehicle or driver, including vehicle color, make and model, number of doors, license plate number, and more. Witnesses may also provide this information.

If the police find the other driver, then the victim can file a claim against him to recover damages. If not, the victim may have limited options, but options nonetheless.

Your Insurance Options after a Hit and Run Accident

After your accident, notify your insurance company. The police report can help provide information about the cause to prove you were not liable.

If you have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage on your policy, then you may file a claim with it to recover damages. Georgia law [OCGA §33-7-11] requires insurance companies treat an accident where the driver of the motor vehicle is unknown as one involving an uninsured motorist. Insurance companies must offer this coverage, though drivers may reject it in writing. Check your insurance policy to determine if you have this coverage.

UM coverage effectively replaces the at-fault driver’s liability coverage so you can recover damages you suffered in the wreck.

Further, you may use your collision coverage, health insurance, and other insurance policies that cover you to pay for certain damages. Review your case and available insurance with us for a clearer, more specific idea of your options.

Get Help from Attorney John Morrison in Gwinnett County

Call us at 770-951-8900 or use our contact form to set up a consultation. John Morrison will work with you to collect evidence, assist with the investigation in any way possible to find the other driver, and help you exercise the insurance options that are available to you.

Request a Free Consultation

Fill out the form below to
receive a free and confidential
initial consultation.